Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
amehzin
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Quick Question about Switching from DSLR to M43
In reply to Pasmia, Apr 4, 2012

Pasmia wrote:

amehzin wrote:

My Nikon D5000 (usually with the 35mm f1.8 lens attached) has served me well over the past couple of years but lately I've been doing a lot of traveling and I ended up taking a lot of pictures with my iPhone since it's easier to whip out a tiny iPhone than a DSLR.

Sad and true story told way too often...

Quite obviously, the mirrorless systems is the perfect mix of portability and quality that I need to fit both my traveling and photography needs. Out of all cameras available, I decided to go with the Olympus PEN E-P3 (with the Panasonic Lumix GX1 as a close second). The NEX system is a tad bit too flimsy in my hands and while the OM-D EM-5 is a slightly better camera, it's a bit chunkier than I would like it to be.

E-M5 is actually 1mm shorter in width than the E-P3. A lot of reviews and pictures make the EM-5 seem much larger than it really is. Check this out: http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,155

Aside from the hump, the E-M5 quite comparable in size. If anything, I'd suggesting at least waiting till the E-M5 is available in a local store so you can play around with it. I'm only pushing the E-M5 because I think the price on the E-P3 is way too much right now. By year's end, I'm sure there will be another Pen with a newer sensor and the E-P3 will have its price adjusted appropriately.

I actually found an online seller for the E-M5. I can only play around with it when I do decide to buy from her. I could ask her to bring the E-M5 and E-P3 along but I have to make sure that I will be making the purchase then and there.

Also, this may seem a bit weird but I'm pretty much obsessed with the white E-P3. It's such a girly thing to think about but while IQ is the obvious priority here, aesthetics is also important to me.

I don't think anyone uses the older sensors beyond ISO 1600, so if high ISO is an issue for you, this would be something to think about. I had the GF2 and wouldn't touch ISO 800. I now have the G3 and I have no problems going as far as ISO 3200.

I normally don't like pushing the ISO up way too much and when I'm taking pictures at night, I prefer to take longer exposures with a tripod for landscapes and bouncing the flash off the ceiling for portraits.

At the moment, however, I have a couple of options:
1. Sell my D5000 and get the E-P3 now.

2. Stick with my DSLR for now and wait for the eventual release of the EP-4 (hopefully with the sensor in EM-5).

My honest opinion, unless you can get a sweet deal for an E-P3 (like sub $500 US), I'd hold off. But seeing as how you're taking shots with your phone camera, I'd consider getting a "for now" camera, like the E-P2 or E-PL1, both of which can be had for $250 (US) with a little shopping around.

My only concern with getting a for now camera is that if a new camera does come out, the price for the E-P2 and E-PL1 will also go down which is a concern. For that, I'll prefer to retain my D5000 as a 'for now' camera.

I may get a good deal for the E-P3 when I go to Singapore in June since I'll be there in time for the Great Singapore Sale which means really big discounts for a lot of electronics.

Or do you think it's a mistake that I'm giving up my DSLR at all?

Currently your iPhone is 10x better of a camera than your DSLR. Why? Because it's actually being used. How many shots are on your phone that you wonder, "boy, that would've been an awesome shot if I had taken with my D5000?"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow