Focusing Frustrations!

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
mothman13
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?
Charley, I shoot all my macros with autofocus (large pics)
In reply to charley5, Apr 4, 2012

Charley,

I shoot all my macro pics using autofocus. I use a Nikon D300, but I'm using the same Sigma 150mm macro lens that you're using. When shooting, my left hand is cupping the lens and that puts my thumb right there either on or next to that 3-position switch. I'm one of those weird macro shooters in that I use autofocus and don't use a tripod. Seems like that's what you're trying to do as well.

That 3-position switch makes a huge difference in the autofocus speed and ability of the lens. Put the switch at the minimum range (0.38-0.52m) and manually put the lens at the minimum focus position. Now aim the camera and lens at a wall more than 3 feet away. Push and hold the shutter release to engage the autofocus while watching the little window on top of the lens. If the lens rotates all the way to the other end of the focusing range before reversing direction, your lens is defective. If it only goes to the 0.52m position (just past 1:2) before reversing, the lens IS recognizing the switch position.

All shot hand-held using autofocus:

-- hide signature --
 mothman13's gear list:mothman13's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow