Depth of Field Question(camera vs. My eye sight

Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,793
Like?
Re: Depth of Field Question(camera vs. My eye sight
In reply to dog46, Apr 4, 2012

There are two things you might be missing here. Photography is not just about the faithful reproduction of a scene. It is an art, therefore, subjective view is a huge part of photography, starting the moment you choose what is inside and outside the frame. Focus is part of that subjectivity. Depth of field is a tool used to concentrate the viewer on a specific aspect of a scene, and minimize other distractions, serving the aesthetic goals of the picture, the way thousands of micro-decisions affect how a painting or drawing looks.

Second, it is not true that your eyesight always has everything in focus. Hold your finger about six inches in front of your face. Is the background in focus? No. This is due to how depth of field is affected by eye/subject/background ratio of viewing distance, which is just as true for the human eye as it is for cameras.

Photographers consider it an advantage that depth of field can be controlled to a larger extent with camera lenses than with the human eye alone. It is considered an advantage and a storytelling tool that depth of field can be narrowed. We appreciate the storytelling aspect of depth of field since we are largely interested in photography as a means of expression, we are not merely scientific documenters.

Next time you watch a movie, ask yourself how much better or worse the scenes would look if everything was in focus all the time.

dog46 wrote:

A range finder-or at least my Panasonic LX3-where everything in a street or landscape shot in in focus-just like my eye sight. Unlike many DLSR shots I've taken or seen.

That being said-why would DLSR shot taking the same shot but with blurred details be a more capable camera?
What gives?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow