Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
netsurfr
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
New X100 Owner!
Apr 4, 2012

I realize most of the posts here are about the new X1P but I just got my new X100 in the mail today and had to chime in to say WOW! I'm so glad I decided to buy this camera.

I'm a newb at photography. Mostly used P&S but in the last year been wanting to move up to better cameras & learn. About 6 months ago my wife & I decided to get new cameras & I was looking for an advanced P&S as well as entry "portable" dslr. We ended up w/ the Canon S100 & Sony A55 w/ 35MM f1.8 and have been learning w/ those 2. The S100 is mostly my wife's & the A55 is what we use when we want nice pictures of our 2 year old but the IQ of the A55 got me wanting that type of results out of a more portable system. Once I came across the X100 on the internet I felt in love w/ it's looks & the concept right away. I shyed away from getting it because well I didn't really need another camera & because I knew it's not a camera meant for newbies but the more I read about it & saw pictures of the camera & taken w/ the camera the more I wanted it. Plus that retro/rangefinder look just did it for me so I bit the bullet.

I must say this thing looks amazing in real life. And it feels awesome. That OVF is incredible. When my wife saw it she thought it was an old film camera that I bought for "display". I'm well aware of the challenges w/ it & I think my expectations were lower because the AF & speed were better than what I thought. Now I have to read the manual & perhaps start really learning about this camera & photography in general. One thing I really enjoy already is having to "work" the camera to get the shot I want vs. just using Auto modes...

So long post but just excited & glad I went w/ my gut & bought it.

P.S. I've seen a couple of books on Amazon on the X100 and wondered if anyone here has experience w/ either one? I'm just curious if either one would be a wise read for someone like myself.

Thanks!

netsurfr's gear list:netsurfr's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica X1 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow