Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EJDarcy
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
18-55 kit lens or 17-85 help please!?
Apr 4, 2012

Please help me decide in what to purchase...

I recently sold my 18-55 kit lens just because I sold my T3i (upgraded to 60d), and the seller wanted a lens to go with it. So, now I don't have a lens with wide capabilities. I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8, Canon 55-250 (kit), and the 50 1.8.

We camp a lot during the summer, and we have kids. I am thinking I would like the 17-85 for landscape photos, and then the extra range would be nice to candid shots of the kids while camping. I could (hopefully) put one lens on while camping and leave it at that. OR.. maybe I should say forget it and save some money and buy the 18-55 lens back?? Would I be losing much image quality going to the 17-85?

I know that the 17-85 is not perfect, and I also know the 15-85 is a much better lens. However, I can't justify that cost right now, so that one is not in the cards. I found the 17-85 for $225 used, or of course I could pick up the 18-55 kit lens for under $100. I'm going crazy trying to decide which one to get...GRRRR... I have considered other lenses too (i.e. Sigma 17-70), but I think I have it narrowed down to just these two now. Any suggestions would be HIGHLY APPRECIATED! Thank you!

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow