Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
riveredger
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: G3 2-lens kit
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 3, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:
And that's what it is about.

Panny have taken relatively old tech, worked on it very well, and produced a sensor that is cheap to make, does what 99% of buyers want, and hence been able to make a pair of excellent value cameras in the G3 and GX1

If you shoot JPG the G3 sensor is pretty good.
If you shoot RAW and develop the image in one hit the G3 sensor is pretty good.

If you shoot RAW and develop different parts of the image in different ways, which most people don't, in fact most people won't even know what I mean , then it is probably the worst current generation sensor you can buy.

Because that last thing is exactly what I do, if the O-MD has the G3 sensor, it isn't much use to me. I'd also say while cutting a corner to save money is a great way of producing a £500 camera that does what most people want, it's a bit rubbishy in a £1,000 camera, which ought to make an effort to cover all the bases it can.

So, when the numbers come out, we'll see what sensor the OM-D has. In the meantime everyone and their dog has written reviews of it, it always does well, so if you don't do big shadow pulls in RAW, just get it.

Those of us who do do big shadow pulls in RAW should probably wait and see what the DxO sensor tests say - trying to deduce the performance from messing with other people's shots is quite hard.

Henry Richardson wrote:

I was in one of the big camera/electronics stores in Tokyo yesterday and they had the G3 + 2 lens kit (14-42mm + 45-200mm) on a one day sale for 49,500 yen. That's about US$600 at the current exchange rate. Not sure what the price in the States is, but that struck me as a good price.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Louis- no offense, but if DR is your priority you are using the wrong format. You should be shooting either FF or - if cost is an issue - using a camera with that amazing Sony 16mp APS-C sensor (D7000, A580, D5100).

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FWC=New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow