Sigma 19 vs Sigma 30 compared on NEX-7

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 19 vs Sigma 30 compared on NEX-7
In reply to Baron LaCat, Apr 3, 2012

I think the sweet spot on the 19mm is probably f5.6. I thought I saw some softening at f8 but it could just be because I was hand holding it. But f2.8 is definitely very very usable. On my copy of the 30mm you really have to do some serious pixel peeping to see any improvement past F3.5 and it is quite good wide open.

Neither of my copies of the Sigma lenses is anything like either the 15-55 kit lens or the Tamron 18-200 where stopping the lens down provided dramatic improvement in both corner and center sharpness. Reading some of the other comments maybe I just got lucky with my samples but honestly I am pleased as punch with both lenses. Maybe I'm just not adept with the manual focusing but both lenses have been sharper than the Nikon glass I've tried on the NEX-7. It makes me wonder how happy I'll be with the D800 and the 24-120 f4 VR!

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow