Nikon D5100 vs. Olympus OMD

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
dezinerd
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D5100 vs. Olympus OMD
In reply to Leo, Apr 3, 2012

This topic is something I kicked around last year after lugging my Nikon D700 around Utah. I also wanted a pocket camera for snapshots. I tryed the Nikon 8100 and was dissapointed with its lack of user controls. Image quality was good for a point and shoot tiny sensor.

The Olympus EPL1 that I got has been so much fun! It has a weak AA filter and my 14-42 kit lens and 17 2.8 are both quite sharp so the image quality is very good. The image rendering in Jpeg was important as I did not want to use raw for snapshots so I won again. The EPl1 has built in flash which is important to me for fill flash in people pictures. I was somewhat dissappointed with this. The 160 sec sync is problematic outdoors. My D700 has a HP 1/250 mode which works well for fill outdoors. I really have not spent enough time with the Oly to sort this out and certainly it is an unfair comparison of a top line cam to entry level. I am resoulute that the tiny built in flash is a must have. My Oly has a generally very sophisticated flash with lots of controls. Very impressive for an entry level cam. So I am pleased with Oly. OMD should have had a built in IMHO.

If you are just going to talk image quality and price the entry level Nikon might be the most cost effective solution. The 18-55 lens is quite good and Nikon gave a gift to its users in the 35 f1.8 and 50 1.8 lens they are $200 new and quite good. The 50 is a 75 with the crop factor and due to the larger APS C sensor some cropping could be done. Thinking mostly about kid pictures, envoirnmental portraiture. The OMD kit lens is also very good and has a wider zoom range than the Nikon. One place that I believe Nikon cuts cost on their cheaper cams is in the AA filter. The original poster has a D70 which has a weak AA filter which passes a lot of IR but gives astonishing sharp images with little or no sharpening. Comparing the D5100 and D7000 images using DPR compared to feature will show that these cameras using the same sensor do not produce identical images.

One thing no one talked about is the viewfinder. I as a glasses wearer did not like the D5100 viewfinder it was worse than the D70. Hopefully the OMD is better eventhough it is electronic. I have the Oly UZ1 and its electronic viewfinder was never a problem. My new EPL1 is tough to use outdoors without an eye level viewfinder. I tryed shooting BIF with an adapted Nikkor 200 but had no sucess, just could not see any thing on the monitor for the reflection and glare. Hope this is some help.

I liked the one posters mention of the cool factor sitting at the Cafe and after some introspection maybe that was why I passed on the D5100 as it is not the most sleek of DSLR that are out there, well that and the crappy viewfinder:-)
--
Dennis

dezinerd's gear list:dezinerd's gear list
Samsung NX300 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow