Am I ready for full frame based on these select pictures?

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Varuas
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Am I ready for full frame based on these select pictures?
Apr 3, 2012

Here are some of my better shots. You may or may not like these, but these are some examples of the best I can do at the moment. These were all taken with my D90, lenses are 35mm f1.8, 18-200mm vr, and some with Tamron 60mm f2 Macro. I have been using DSLRs for almost 3 years now... D90 is my first and only DSLR.

My workflow: I just shoot, mostly manual mode to make sure I have control over aperture and shutter. I let ISO be auto, while capping max to 1600 on my D90. 3200 is the most I ever go. I shoot RAW, process in ACR and PS. I crop... because my cropped ones tell better picture. There are examples of HDR, processed pics as well. I love HDR.

D90's center focus is good, but sometimes I use side focus points and results are not as consistent. I could definitely make use of better focus, especially non-center points. I cannot manual focus... unless it is a static macro shot.

I have SB600 flash, but I avoid flash as much as possible indoors... just use it during daylight for portraits, as fill flash.

Given my gear list, my brief workflow, and some of my BETTER shots, do you think I will benefit/make use from a FF dslr ? Assume that I can spend for a mid level FF DSLR with a couple of FF lenses. If so, which FF DSLR would you recommend? And what lenses to go with it.

The list is not entirely sorted, but top pics are usually couple of years old... recent shots are at the bottom.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow