Soccer in Al servo 5D III

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
thx1138
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,147
Like?
Re: Soccer in Al servo 5D III
In reply to stangvert, Apr 2, 2012

stangvert wrote:

Impressed with the Al servo and focus of the 5D III. Out of 200 shots 150 were in sharp focus, 40 were focused but a little soft pixel peeping and the other 10 were unusable. Compared to my 1dIII, this is about a 20% improvement. I usually use the 100-400 lens for soccer, but wanted to try out my newer 70-200 2.8 II. So some of these files are heavily cropped. These were shot in jpg because I haven't got around to updated my Light Room to the newer version. I usually shoot in raw, so I'm not use to editing jpg files. But I wanted to get some real world examples posted. I sill haven't figured out the best way to load files onto dpreview so that they look as good as the full-sized files on my computer screen. So if these don't look that sharp, trust me that the original files do. This camera is an upgrade from my 1DIII. I was going back and forth between this and the 1div. I am glad that I got this camera. The focus is great and the low light jpgs are a real step up. If this camera works as good for birds in flight as field sports. I'll be set not needing a 1d series camera and I can save for the 300 2.8.

That must be a poor 1D III you have, my usual keeper rate (sharp at 100%) is around 85-90% with 1D III, birding or sport. I'm sure 5D III has better AF, but you still only got 75% keeper rate, which may be due to 1/1000 shutter speed. I'd probably try 1/1600 or so by going to ISO 800, which is perfectly fine on 5D III.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow