Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?
Sigma 19 vs Sigma 30 compared on NEX-7
Apr 2, 2012

I just got my Sigma 19mm today and rushed out to my favorite brick wall to compare it to the Sigma 30mm on the Sony NEX-7. I'm posting photos but note that they weren't taken tripod mounted and there is clearly some error on my part in getting the sensor perfectly parallel to the wall. Also, note that this is a very smooth brick wall. I haven't looked at the raw files but I wouldn't be surprised if noise reduction, even at ISO 100, isn't a significant factor in limiting sharpness.

My first impression is that the Sigma 19mm is not quite as tack sharp as the 30mm, which I think is an exceptional lens, but it is very sharp across the frame across all apertures with the optimum aperture being somewhere around f4.5 or f5.6. I don't see any significant distortion, chromatic aberration or vignetting at any aperture. In many of my shots, even at shutter speeds of 1/2000 I think hand holding the camera contributed more softness than any feature of the lens.

My bottom line is that both the Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses are extraordinary values if you are shooting the NEX-7 with its extremely demanding sensor. Not surprisingly, both of the Sigma lenses reveal significant weaknesses in either the Sony 18-55mm or Tamron 18-200 zooms even stopped down. Personally, I see no need to step up to the Zeiss 24mm, I just can't imagine it is materially sharper at 5x the price.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow