Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeMiami
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Canon 600EX/RT + Softbox question
Apr 2, 2012

I just received the 2 600EX's I ordered. Should be getting the new transmitter delivered today . I purchased 2 speedlight brackets that allow me to attach Bowen mount accessories to the speedlights and then mount them on a lightstand. I'm just not sure what size softboxes I should get. I want Octo style boxes. But how large do you think is acceptable? The brackets I picked up are very well made and should hold larger boxes.

I want the larger boxes for full body portraits. Will also be using for head to shoulder portraits as well, both inside and outdoors.

Is there enough power in the 600EX's to use a softbox larger than 48" or is that size to large?
I've also seen both a 32"+ 36" Octobox, which are possibilities.

I dont want to have to sit on top of my subject to see the light.

Some might question why I purchased the 600's instead of full size studio strobes. Well, I love the portability I'm going to have with no power cords needed. Plus I like the fact I'll be able to use the 600EX on my RRS flash bracket attached to my 5D3 and walk around and my wife can use the other on her camera when not doing portraits.

MikeMiami's gear list:MikeMiami's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Canon Pixma MX340 Canon Pixma Pro9000 +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow