Photos HS track meet

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nevada-is-HOME
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
Re: Photos HS track meet
In reply to mark bausman, Apr 2, 2012

I dabble in taking pictures of track & field on the cheap side (equipment wise)

For me.. the issue of DOF is one element, but not necessarily the highest on the list.

If you have good position with respect to lighting, then work on composition and framing your subject. If you are not there to take pictures of any one specific athlete.. the task is so much easier. So concentrate on runners stride that shows off the simple elegance of motion. If you cannot shoot in burst mode, then shoot wide and crop the picture to show the runner that shows off his / her stride.

For example.. here are two pics of a relay race that the runners are not in the lead pack.

Next.. work on a picture that show off the 1st runner to cross the finish line.. and hopefully, the runner shows some emotion. Any finish line shots require better timing on the photographer's part.

Now.. the hard part.. you are there for a specific / special athlete.. and it so happens he / she is going for a PR or a stadium record.. you got one chance to get it right. Don't mess with short depth of field.. make sure you set your f stop number higher than your usual setting.. ie just short of what P&S produces.. Your goal is to make sure your subject is absolutely in focus. one chance one shot.. no repeat..

It so happens I was there when this sophomore set a stadium HJ record of 5'11". The local newspaper is saying.. the jump is probably the nations age group record so far early into the 2012 HS track season.

Now.. let see what a P&S can produce.. Fujfilm E550 with flash, Canon A530 w/o flash.

If you want to experiment with panning.. don't mess with a DSLR.. use a point and shoot and use a flash. And if you are taking a picture of hurdlers who are predominate right handed/legged.. you need to be on the proper side. The hand that the hurdler use for balance must not block the face.

And finally..it's good to see another Sony Alpha shooter out there..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow