How to blur the background of a foreground object...

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HEA-45
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?
How to blur the background of a foreground object...
Apr 2, 2012

Tell me if the following is correct for blurring the background of a foreground object:

Greatest blur = Long focal length (80mm or more telephoto lens) + wide aperture (say f/2.8) + long distance from object

Least blur = Short focal length (18mm wide angle lens) + narrow aperture (say f/16) + close distance from object

Reason: I took some photos this weekend of an abandoned jeep in the middle of the woods. I used a Nikon D300S with an 18-70mm wide angle lens set at 20mm. I used a variety of apertures from f/5 to f/16, and I was positioned about ten (10) feet away in broad daylight. I was disappointed by the lack of blurry background…even at the f/5 aperture. I was hoping to make the jeep standout as the foreground object.

HEA-45's gear list:HEA-45's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow