16-105+panorama or WA?

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,974Gear list
Like?
My experience with Tamron 10-24 vs ICE stitching ...
In reply to alfarunner, Apr 2, 2012

sagarmatha wrote:

I'm thinking of buying either a Sigma 10-20 or a Tamron 10-24 but am not sure if I would use it so much. Considering that A77, which I haven't got yet, has a panorama function and that the wide end is 16 mm does anyone think this combination is enough for landscape or should I go for a WA lens?
--

My 0.02

I have been stitching for WA since 2001 (Nikon F100 film scanned). I have the Tamron 10-24 for a few months and must admit I should have not bought it because I do not use it often enough to justify. It is a fine lens and ACR does auto corrections so no technical issues. I leave my Sigma 18-250 on camera and, for UWA, typically shoot 3 shots in portrait mode and stitch with ICE. My HX5V has sweep pano and it works fine but even with the HX5V, I typically take the 3 shots in portrait mode and stitch with ICE. Like others have said, I suggest you wait a while before spending $400 on UWA.
Bert

PS: I admit to being short on artistic use of UWA lens but it handles extreme DOF better than stitching.

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow