Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rayk
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,212Gear list
Like?
New K5, what lens/lenses recommended?
Apr 2, 2012

I have been thinking through the purchase of a K5 for some months, and tomorrow morning I'm going to go to my local camera shop and price, and most probably order one. Although I have tried several K5's out in camera shops here in Japan, I'm pretty green regarding the lenses available for it, and what I should get.

I have been an Olympus DSLR shooter for eight years or so, and will continue to use what I have. But I also want the flexibility of a different format, higher ISO capability, etc., that the K5 will give me. The lens that I like to use most is the Zuiko 12-60mm (18-90 in K5 terms), and usually use it between 14-50 (21-75 in K5 terms). I also use the small Zuiko 14-42mm kit lens on my E620 for travelling. I rarely, almost never use telephoto lenses, but would like to have a longer zoom for when I want to shoot some sport, or some event. (I use the Zuiko 40-150mm, or K5 equiv. 60-220 for this).

I really want to know the pitfalls, if any, of the cheaper kit zooms, and what I should avoid. I don't have an unlimited budget by any means, but I don't mind paying for something that will be good on this camera. I would like a couple of primes eventually, a standard, and a widish angle, but that can wait until I get used to the camera.

I really do need some help with this, not having ever owned a Pentax camera, although I have shot with them (Spotmatic, K1000) back in the film days.

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry for such a long winded post!

Ray Kinnane
Saga-shi, Japan

rayk's gear list:rayk's gear list
Nikon 1 V2
Olympus E-620 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow