Got £1000 to spend on studio lighting... help...

Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
JimmyTwoShoes
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: Got £1000 to spend on studio lighting... help...
In reply to dkloi, Apr 2, 2012

Many thanks to all of you for your feedback and information. It is much appreciated.

dkloi wrote:

JimmyTwoShoes wrote:

I'm edging towards the Bowens Gemini 500R kit (2 strobes)

can I humbly ask for your combined wisdom. Are there better alternatives that give a better bang for my buck?

What features of a flash do you need? Raw power, short flash duration, portability, remote control, inbuilt triggering, light weight, ruggedness, cheapness, etc.? Remember to factor in all the light modifiers you'll need, the flash head itself is only part of the story.

I got the Bowens Gemini 400 twin kits with the Travelpak for less than a £1000 because I liked the option of portability but in a standard monolight format for normal use as a studio light. I prefer the Bowens gimbal method of mounting the head on the stand and the whole flash feels solid. It took a bounce in after being blown over windy conditions but it just kept on working.

If I mainly needed mains-independent flash, then I'd look at the Lencarta Safari Li-Ion. I've used a friend's Lencarta equipped studio and they work satisfactorily. You should give them a look. If you want to go cheap, have a look at lightingrumours.com for information.

Cheers,
Daniel.

JimmyTwoShoes's gear list:JimmyTwoShoes's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow