Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark dimo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
A firmware wish for all Pentax SLRs...
Apr 2, 2012

One of the things I shoot are sport images at twilight. Pentax SLRs only send a signal to the hot shoe to trigger at speeds 1/180 and below.

When using radio triggers like micro sync or pocket wizards. I am confined to that as my limiting factor 1/180 and below for flash sync.

How I wish Pentax would write a firmware to allow the camera to send a pulse to the hot shoe no matter the shutter speed. Canon and Nikon SLRs can do this and I have tested and shot with radio triggers firing at speeds of 1/1000

When shooting at twilight or ambient light and only requiring a little fill light then actual flash sync is not necessary because you are only popping a bit of lighting strategically placed for filling the face or wanted details.

So far the fastest syncing pentax is the Q at 1/250, even the K01 is limited to 1/160 since it doest have a flash X sync setting.

Because of the limiting factor some of my action shots have blur since the allowable shutter speeds are a bit slow, limited at 1/180.

Anyone out there have a work around.

here is an example of when it works fine:

In this example since the idea was to catch the skater when he hangs above the bowl, 1/180 was fast enough to freeze the motion

An example with not so perfect results:

Here because of the rapid touch off the wall and the swinging of the arms, 1/180th wasnt fast enough to totally freeze the subject. In this case without the flash fill, you would lose the face and brand logos. "Fill in" needed but with pentax SLRs the fastest I can sync and use radio triggers to allow side lighting is only at 1/180. Even 1/250 would be a great help, but until they write firmware to release the flash at any shutter speed, we are confined to 1/180th as a limit to our creativity.

Happy shooting!

-- hide signature --

Senior Photographer for Aloha Boardsports, Billabong Philippines, RVCA, Matix, & DVS

Photographer / Features Writer for Lonely Planet Magazine, Digital Photographer & Mabuhay Magazine

Life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!

mark dimo's gear list:mark dimo's gear list
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow