New York trip recommend kit

Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
S_Leeper
Contributing MemberPosts: 956
Like?
Re: New York trip recommend kit
In reply to vandv, Apr 2, 2012

As long as you are not on the subway in the Bronx, Queens or Brookly after 10pm you should have no worries about crime.

The one crime you should be careful about at any time is someone snatching your iphone or smartphone. Keep it discreet especially when at a subway stop, then they grab & run while you are stuck on the subway.

You may find it helpful to use a backpack, instead of a camera bag, and is a bit more discreet.

When in NYC feel free to ask police for directions. They are some of the nicest police in the world. Also feel free to ask others on the subway for directions--most will know you are a tourist even if you don't have your camera out, or a map in hand.

Others have given you some good suggestions on "must see" places:

B&H (check their website for times... as others have said will be closed for passover)

Bronx zoo (If you like zoo's.... I do, but if you can take a couple of days down to DC do the zoo there instead, which is free every day)

Botanical Gardens (nybg.org. Costs a bit, and the orchid show is additional) around this time of year have lots of tulips & daffodils (sp?).

Brookly Botanical Gardens (about now they have lots of cherry trees in bloom....)

Also consider:
Statue of Liberty -- take a boat from either NYC or NJ (Liberty State Park)

Take a boat cruise--lots of options, some go up & down the Hudson river, some focus on the bridges, some of the numberous islands, etc
Take the PATH to NJ Exchange Place to get a great view of the Manhattan skyline
Visit Brookly Bridge park for another great view of Brooklyn Bridge & city.

Grand Central Station (& like others said take the train from there to zoo & or nybg.)

have fun
--
I take lots of pictures.
Sometimes I even make a photograph.
http://leeper.smugmug.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow