Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
johnchap2
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?
D800 - What Nikon Continues to Leave Out
Apr 1, 2012

While the 36MP in FX mode provides a very desirable 18MP+ - in DX mode, the 36MP in FX mode is overkill for most photo applications, and certainly eats up significant storage media space. The 14MP Kodak SLRN bodies that I used to have provided for selecting lower pixel densities to something like 9MP and 3MP, even for the RAW files. For any photographers, but particularly for travel photographers who have to carry enough cards for the entire trip (image tanks and laptops are no substitute for keeping the original near destructive proof cards), the ability to drop FX pixel densities on NEF files to other values such as for example 18MP would be very welcomed at least by me but I think also by others. Presumably this capability could be added via firmware modifications. I would even envision a setting where the MP densities for both DX and FX modes could be set individually.

Most lenses benefit in resolution by stopping down 1 or 2 stops from max aperture. Another capability still lacking is, in aperture priority and program modes, being able to set the shooting aperture to max aperture + 1 stop or 2 stops. The benefit of this capability would be most evident with variable aperture lenses. But even constant aperture lenses would benefit when shooting in program mode. This is another capability that probably can be easily implemented with firmware mods.

Some years ago Nikon used to have 2 program modes; one for high shutter speeds and one for normal speeds. Nikon should reintroduce this capability. Again, a firmware change should be able to implement this.

I suspect there are other easily implemented capabilities that other photographers would like to, but there appears to be no real mechanism for informing Nikon (or Canon, etc.) of such good ideas.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow