Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tashley
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,132Gear list
Like?
NX2 may not work on your Mac and you'll want it for the D800
Apr 1, 2012

Talk over at GetDPI forums is that NX2 renders D800 (and I assume D800E files) better than either Lightroom or Capture One. In particular it 'unlocks' areas of reds that tend to clump in other converters.

I also understand that it might have special sauce that is required to capitalise on the extra resolution of D8000E files, which is why it will be bundled.

So this is a heads up: I know that there are a lot of people who hate the UI and the workflow of NX but in my case, having downloaded and installed the trial so I could try some files before my camera arrives, I just find that it won't open any file, whether NEF, JPEG, TIFF, whatever, of any size. It just says "Cannot Open FIle' and that's it.

I know one other guy who has had the exact same experience and has been on Nikon support for a long time over multiple calls, deleting all files installed by NX and starting again, too no avail. It looks like any previous install may be able to effectively 'brick' later installs, however carefully un-installed.

My install was fresh, on a Mac Pro with 16gig RAM, loads of disk space, a machine that happily handles 80MP IQ180 files. However, I should add that I just downloaded the same installers onto my MacBook Pro, much more humbly specified, and it works fine. I will try to contact Nikon tech support tomorrow to see if I can get it working on my Mac Pro but the other guy I refer to has had no joy from them so far.

So, heads up guys'n'gals: if you are thinking of relying on NX2 for your RAW development, be aware that you might be in for some real hassle. If you buy a D800E you'll be paying for the software in the purchase price of the camera.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

Tim

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow