A77 focus problems

Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
TomHJ
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
Re: 70-300 just isnt tack sharp
In reply to splashy, Apr 1, 2012

JPEG is usually great, and certainly simple. But with the OP's original concern about "tack" sharpness (although I agree with others that his pictures, as posted, look pretty darn good), I think he should give a whirl with RAW, and learn (if he doesn't already know) about some post-processing sharpening. (I routinely shoot RAW, and have Lightroom set up for some "default" noise reduction/sharpening for (a) low (400 and below) ISO and high (800 and above). If I want even finer control, I turn to Neat Image, where I have profiles built for each ISO from 100 to 3200.)

In dpreview's original review of the a77, it had the following to say about sharpness differences between JPEG and RAW ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/18 ):

"It's one of the first things you learn once you start getting 'serious' about digital photography: you can almost always get better results by shooting in raw mode than relying on your camera's JPEG engine. raw files have a greater scope for post-capture adjustment, in terms of color, brightness/exposure and detail extraction. The downside is that getting the most out of a raw file takes time. Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes not so much.

"The A77 is one of those cameras where it is definitely worth it. The A77's default JPEG rendering delivers smooth, colorful images which will satisfy most people most of the time, but to see anything like the camera's true potential you really should switch to raw mode. All of the raw files on this page were processed 'to taste' in Adobe Camera RAW using a combination of sharpness and noise reduction settings intended to get the best from the A77's files in terms of color, sharpness and noise.

"In some situations, the difference in terms of sharpness and detail between a default JPEG capture and a carefully-processed raw file is profound, as you can see from the ISO 100 scene, below."

Take a look at the pictures posted by dpreview.

Finally, as others have suggested, try f/8 at 300mm. It is asking a lot for a lens to be at its sharpest wide-open.

Having said all of this, at the end of the day, your pictures look very sharp, and sharp enough for almost any real-world situation!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow