Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
HLD-6 grip for OM-D is great!
Apr 1, 2012

When I ordered the new OM-D I managed to have the camera shop put together a package deal on the body plus 12-50mm kit, HLD-6 grip, and extra battery.

Before that I was hesitant about getting the grip at all.

I owned the HLD-4 and it made the E-3 even bigger than it already was plus it did not work with AA sized batteries, disposable or rechargeable as substitutes for the BLM-1's like it was supposed to. Hardly used it.

I owned the HLD-5. Got it because I though it would give me more gripping space/support when using larger lenses like the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5. But it just defeated the whole point for me of using the E-620. Hardly used it.

Both felt plasticky and not worth what I paid for them.

When I held the new OM-D at the Olympus event in Osaka I was immediately struck by how good it felt with the grip attachment. So, I decided to give it a try.

The HLD-6 is pricier than the previous Oly grips (though I did get a deal ), but it really is worth it. The build quality is solid! Both pieces are metal and feel first class.

The amazing thing is how well they fit the OM-D. When you have the first, hand grip section attached alone, it's so seamless that it's as if it's part of the camera itself. The people at Olympus sat down and though this one out and didn't treat it like an after though, which what the HLD-4 on the E-3 seemed like to me. Plus, as mentioned, it feels much nicer to hold (for me at least).

Also, like I mentioned in another post, unlike the HLD-4 and HLD-5 where both batteries are in the grip, with the HLD-6 only one battery is in the grip and the other remains in the body so if you decide to lose the grip, you don't have to remove a battery to put back in the body. Or, you can just pop the grip on with no battery and just shoot.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow