Why I bought another LX-3 ( Actually LX-5)

Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dog46
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Why I bought another LX-3 ( Actually LX-5)
Apr 1, 2012

I bought an NEX5-N & gave my LX-3 to my girl friend. I was not happy with the kit lens glass compared to what I had been shooting with. However-I do want to say-there is MUCH to like about the Sony.

Anyway-I then bought an Fz-150 which i like a lot. I find it far more capable than any previous FZ model I have owned (FZ-1-FZ-8-FZ-50). However- and here in lies my problem- I kept on looking at the pictures I had previously taken with the LX-3. I kept on being blow away on how good they are. Just over all-color focus-sharpness-etc etc etc.

Now I know this will sound like heresy to many but I shot mostly IA & JPG & don't print hardly at all. I spend my money on very high quality monitors and view pictures that way. Also I do very little post processing.

My working criteria has always been- How good a picture will a camera take with just the camera itself. That all comes from my film taking days where that was perhaps a more sensible criterion than it is with digital.

Nonetheless-I have NEVER owned & I'm sure there are other cameras-but in my experience- Nothing takes as nice a picture with so little work as an LX-3-or -I hope- it's first cousin-the LX-5. ( I will tell you-I think the the LX8 is one of the most underrated & best camera Panasonic has produced)

So I await for my Lx-5 to arrive tomorrow. I still will use the FZ150 but not as much as the LX5.

And-as far as my heresy in not doing PP or shooting RAW. the pictures I get from the LX-3 have been that good- & I have used a slew of digital cameras. And I think I am like a ton of most picture takers-I want really good pictures but I have neither the time or inclination to spend as some others might. And that is per se not a bad place to be.

dog46's gear list:dog46's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow