D800 as a vacation cam?

Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?
D700 and 24-70 f2.8 ...
In reply to Starred, Apr 1, 2012

... is what I take everywhere. Been through Disney World 3 years in a row, kids and all. Museums, games, airports, travel, parties, walks in the woods, on the beach. In most of the above just hanging off my shoulder (UpStrap) ... camera bag back at home or in the hotel.

I've carried this all day long, far to many times to count. No bag, lenses, etc. Polarizer is a must. And a good plastic bag in my back pocket if outdoors and rain is likely.

Been through dozens of alternatives, including smaller DSLR's. At the end of the day, usually end up regretting not having the D700. More than usually ... 90% of the time.

Recently bought a Sony 5n, which is the first acceptable (IMO) P&S somewhat pocketable alternative to the D700. Just might keep this one! Maybe ...

So for me, the D700 (now D800) beats the alternative, because of what I want my pictures to be ... or not be. The size, weight, and extra care is the price I'm willing to pay. Only you can decide if you're willing to pay that price as well.

As for the cost in cash for the gear itself, only you know if you can afford it or not. My POV is pictures of family, friends, events, trips, etc are recorded memories as valuable to our own archives as the most priceless historical documents are to nations.

You can't place a value on them, even the poorly exposed or blurred image of a child tasting her first ice cream, or a beloved dog when he arrived as a puppy, or a happy moment with a loved one who is no longer with us. It doesn't matter if those images are faded Kodak prints, taken with the cheapest P&S, or a D4.

For what it's worth, my only advice on camera gear, for those who do not earn income from it, is this: don't let the cost of the gear take away of the memories you want to capture. If a $3,000 camera compromised the trip in any way, I find a less expensive alternative to the camera.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow