Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guy Lerner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?
Is this enough resolution for you?
Apr 1, 2012

Hi - if you've read my posts over the years you'd know I'm a professional wedding an portrait photographer by trade, but my passion is landscapes, nature and occasionally wildlife.

My favourite method of capturing landscape panoramas is stitching - has been since the early days of digital when I was using the 10D to create (gosh!) 20MP landscapes

I've just come back from another short trip to the southern highlands of New South Wales, one of the most picturesque countrysides in Australia. The image below is about halfway through processing, but I'm just using it here to show what resolution I'm working with today.

This particular 7-image stitch was captured with a 5D2, although I did have the MkIII with me for testing. Included is a 100% crop of the area outlined in red in the reduced shot. You will NEVER see this level of detail in a print, not unless you enjoy looking at landscape posters with magnifying glasses

When I have time I'll post links to my finished panoramas, many of which adorn my walls printed at 1.5m+ on the long edge (and framed significantly larger than that). This one prints at just over 2m (without interpolation) on the long edge, at 250DPI (I print large format panoramas at 200-250DPI, depending on the requirements from my lab).

So tell me guys, is this enough resolution for you?

Reduced

100%

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow