After seeing this... I had to try to help

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Harry Tiffany
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Will these patterns be visible to the naked eye?
In reply to Robin Casady, Mar 31, 2012

Well than. Seems like you found a good reference point for yourself. Any detail you cant make out in person with your vision might cause moire.

When looking at a model you can usually tell how tight knit a fabric is. You can tell if its a cotton weave. Or if its a knit. Or if its a tight plastic based weave.

Otherwise what would be the point in the fashion world for making all these different aesthetic clothes? To look at them only when you are close enough to hug someone?

I cant believe people trying to call me a pompous ass.

I cant believe people are saying they would rather not take the time to figure out the principles behind moire.

People are really saying its not worth their effort to figure out something that effects their trade?

Its fine if you all want to just leave it a mystery. And deal with it when you deal with it.

I prefer to know and understand my equipment and have an expectation of what a final image looks like before I take the picture.

This is like saying light kits shouldn't come in 1/16th stop increments, because the difference is too hard to see or figure out. Light kits do come in these increments and in the studio often you'll see someone use a flag, diffusion screen, nd filter, or feather the direction of the light to get even more precise control of their final image.

It's fine if you don't want to try to understand it. It's fine if its a lot for you to think about and you would rather avoid it. It's fine if you think the D800E is not for you and you'll be getting a D800.

Just don't put me down for giving useful advice that will help the artists on this forum that are meticulous about every detail of their capture.

Robin, thank you for the civilized dialogue. It's not you that is putting me down. That is more directed elsewhere.

Robin Casady wrote:

Harry Tiffany wrote:

You can easily predict it. It's really not that hard. And after working with a new camera for a while, it should pretty much be second nature at what focal length the striations or patterns you are seeing in the world in front of you will produce moire.

It will vary with focal length as the patterns you see in the outside world are than represented at different sizes in your final image at different focal lengths.

So really, the only thing you need to know is how tightly a pattern can be packed in your final image. You'll come to learn this pretty fast.

Not yet having a D800E and having never shot with a digital medium format camera, I am wondering whether the patterns that cause moiré with the D800E will be visible to the naked eye?

The cityscape image posted in this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41077150 seems to be extremely fine. I doubt anyone with 20/20 vision would have seen it from the camera position.

When shooting fabrics, one can assume there is a pattern there, but can you see it from the camera position when that pattern causes moiré in the D800E? Consider the kimono shot in the Nikon Imaging samples. Could you see the moiré causing fabric pattern from camera position?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow