Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
stretchman
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
Re: Desert landscape with colored grad filters
In reply to andywhoa, Mar 31, 2012

andywhoa wrote:

Hi,

I'm taking a trip to the Southwest United States later this year. I'll be visiting places like the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Page, etc.

My primary concern is with Monument Valley. Often, you'll hear about photographers using tobacco colored grad filters for a lot of landscape photography. However, the desert in Monument Valley is a very orange/red color. Even the rock (ex: the "monuments") sticking out are this color. Is tobacco really a wise idea? Should I stick with neutral? A different color? I'm concerned about a different color because, since the "monuments" stick out into the sky, they would fall victim to this coloring as well as the sky.

Thanks for your help

Your best bet would be to use a C.P. (Circular Polarizer) Filter. I use grad filters on a regular basis if the landscape is right. You are right about the "monuments" sticking up into the sky so its hard to use a grad filter in that situation. The C.P. filter is all you will possibly need there. The grad filter can be a valuable tool for the Grand Canyon as the line on top of the canyon is straight and you can balance the sky and the canyon much better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow