Background- paper, vinyl, material...?

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: Background- paper, vinyl, material...?
In reply to fujiar, Mar 31, 2012

I have used all types. My thoughts:

Paper is most versatile! -- especially white, since you can make it white, any shade of gray (by limiting the light hitting it) or gel a spot and make it any color.

When using white paper, get a 4x8 sheet of smooth glossy white wallboard from your local home improvement store (about $13) to use underfoot to keep paper clean. You will usually never notice the line where the paper and sheet meet since the paper curves under the sheet.

Fabric is durable, can be dyed to any color, bleached, etc. Easy to store and with cheap clamps from home store can be placed almost anywhere. I really love black fleece since it makes a really kickass black background. Sew it together to make a big background... and don't worry about any seams, they'll vanish into blackness. And you have to learn all about hair and back lights! DON'T Bother with white fabric. You'll need a nuclear weapon-powered flash to turn it totally white and it'll cause flare out the wazzooo... stick to paper for white.

Vinyl... limited colors, but then again, you're looking for white mostly. Not easy to handle. Buy a Manfrotto wall bracket system if you have the space (one to hold 3 backgrounds) and the roller chain assemly for at least one roll of paper (cost from B&H about $85, minus the paper)... and you're on your way!

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow