Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NoRules
Contributing MemberPosts: 886
Like?
Duplicator experiment !Large file!
Mar 31, 2012

Sorry for the large file here. And sorry for this not beeing a test, but only a sample of my new found workflow.

I have read all the postings here on this topic, and searched the web. I have seen the results of good lenses connected to slide duplicators, and I have been disappointed by the quality of consumer film scanners and the low res. of ordinary commersial jobs. Samples I have seen from Micro Nikkors have been oversharpened in the center and plain ugly in the corners, film scanners and flatbed adapters have been soft over all and plagued with dust problems, and the commersial shops 2000x3000 is not enough to make good prints.
But I think there is an answer. It is not fast, but gives me a good result.

I did what many other here have done, just made a black tube with a slit in it, and a diffuser (white plastic) at the end, and mounted it on the shade of my Leica Macro 60mm. My camera is the 5D mark II. Focusing is simple with live view x10.

Sharpness in center is of course very good, much better than anny scanner I have used. Corners where really bad at f.8.0. They where OK at f.16, but then the center was ruined.

I took two pictures of my neg. One at f.8.0, and one at f.16, made the one a layer over the other, did an "auto align layers" in PS, made a mask, and painted in the edges and corner of the f.16 layer. I sharpened up the corner layer. Then I did just a little sharpening of the merge of the two.

I am no PS master. I just wanted a result that was cheap and not ugly, that would print nice at 20x30cm, and I think I have found it. Just wanted to share.

The image is a 100% crop merge of two f-stops. The original neg is done on Plus-X-Pan with Leica M and 50mm Summicron som 25 years ago. Feel free to play with it and point out mistakes/ give suggestions on a better workflow.

I did the experiment to show my wife it was a really good idea to buy a Nikonos V and some lenses for B&W underwater landscape photography ...

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow