A few shots from my first day with the OM-D.

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
A few shots from my first day with the OM-D.
Mar 31, 2012

I'm still getting acquainted with the camera so there is not too much I can report other than I'm finding locating the usual functions an unusual learning curve. Things don't seem to be where I expect them. Maybe I'm finally starting to get old

I haven't put on the grip yet, but I have the feeling I'll be using it with the handle section the majority of the time, unless I'm shooting with the pancake. The camera on it's own is a touch to small for me to hold comfortable by my side with the 12-50mm attached.

By the way, one battery goes in the grip and the other stays in the camera, as opposed to the 2 batteries in the grip system in past HLD-x grips. If you remove the grip you don't have to fiddle with popping out a battery and putting it into the body. Makes so much sense that I can't believe it wasn't done before.

Some of you have noticed one quirk I've already posted about, the constant humming noise. There is another thing that can potentially be a bit annoying, depending on your shooting style. The EVF has a sensor to trigger it on when you put the camera to your face. Kind of cool. Problem is when you're using touch screen focusing you can accidentally trip the sensor and black out the screen. When the LCD panel is pulled down and you're looking down at the screen (Rolleiflex style) it is almost impossible to touch focus without the LCD blacking out and EVF switching on before the shot is taken.

Anyway, I don't want to sound the party pooper by bringing up stuff like that, but everyone else seems to be praising the camera like it's something more than...a camera, I don't need to do it too.

Today it stopped raining for about 40 minutes late this afternoon, and the sky was even blue for a few minutes, so I did manage to get out and snap a few shots around my neighborhood.

Then it started raining again so I went home and took pictures of water droplets. The ability to shoot 9 fps is pretty cool.

I'll try to post more about my experience with the OM-D in the coming days.

Keep in mind, these are just casual, get to know your gear, out of camera JPEG snapshots. Don't take them too seriously.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow