My OM-D is noisy!

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,390
Like?
Re: From the description of several people....
In reply to Raist3d, Mar 31, 2012

I supspect it is a charctaristic of the camera rather than something to be fixed...

Raist3d wrote:

it sounds like it could be a "circuit hummm" like you know, when you walk into a room and you know there's a TV on because there's a certain "hum" of sorts. If I had to place a bet, either the EVF, or sensor readout circuitry.

Could be maybe a bug and there's noise effectively playing at a very low volume through the speaker(s). That one would be fixable.

You should try a few things (with IBIS off):

• EVF on/oFF

• LCD on/off

• camera in continuous AF mode vs single

• EVF set to high frequency vs non high frequency.

See if any of these settings/conditions affect the noise. If it's circuitry it should sort of change it in some way.

I would imagine from the description of you and Andy, that it's very low volume and shouldn't matter much anyway. Maybe something that gets fixed in the 2nd production batch.

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

As I posted before, I picked up my OM-D this morning.

The batteries are charged and am now trying it out.

Here is what I notice right off the bat. My OM-D has a constant electrical hum. Kind of like a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

It's not the new lens since I've switched it to another and the hum continues. Switched off the I.S. and still noise.

Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow