My OM-D is noisy!

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Non stop
In reply to Chris_in_Osaka, Mar 31, 2012

In both cases it will be the sound of the IS, surely? If you switch the IS "off" all you are telling it to do is stop reacting to the gyros. It still has to hold the sensor (OM-D) or lens element (L1) steady - I think. I have an L1 and never noticed the sound. Also an E-PM1 and 25 f1.4, and I don't notice that sound either. So I doubt the OM-D will bother me.

I'd still like an IS I could really switch off though!

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I still don't understand what they mean. I agree with your original point - the sound is probably the sound of the IBIS actively doing nothing.

Or are you two saying that when it is switched off it is on but switches off for the shot? Seems unlikely too....

The sound is non-stop. If never ends. There is a constant buzz. Doesn't matter what you are doing. If you are shooting you hear it. If you are flipping through the menu you hear it. I have never had this with any other Oly product I've owned with IS (E-3, E-620, E-PL1, E-PL2, and E-PL3).

I get similar sounds from my 2 Canon lenses with IS, but the sound is there only when you hit the shutter half way and can be shut off by shutting off the IS.

The only time I can recall something similar was when using the Pani L1 kit lens on my E-1, there was a constant sound coming from the lens even if you set the lens IS off.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow