Arghhh! I've scratched my Nikon D4 sensor

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
fabgo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
Re: Nikons are known to fling oil residue
In reply to algiron, Mar 31, 2012

algiron wrote:

Today I took my D4 to Nikon service center in El Segundo, CA. I explained the problem to the nice lady there and she asked me to wait while a technician determines if ended the AA filter got scratched. I waited about 15 minutes and then the lady came back and tells me that the filter is scratched and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire sensor. She said she’ll need to call their NY headquarters to get the cost but for the D3s, the sensor cost is $2,100 USA. I did not want to leave my D4. I will wait for them to call me and give me an estimate and time that it will take to get it back. I do plan to get it repair. I will never again touch my sensor.

Sorry to hear :(. I'm surprised they have to replace the entire sensor. I've always heard the AA filter can be replaced separately.

I've never been very happy with the Nikon repair service. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion before forking over $2k.

-- hide signature --

Fabian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
iteNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow