Magnesium bodies

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bill Force
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,607
Like?
Re: Magnesium bodies
In reply to T3, Mar 31, 2012

You are referring to Canon primarily and they were guilty of using a plastic chassis with magnesium shells. Which is akin to putting "whipped cream on a horse biscuit".. My Nikon D200, D2x are ALL magnesium as is the case in some of the newer Canon mid class cameras, the 1D series have always been total mag bodies and there is a ton of difference between the two series other than just the shells. The shutters, sensors (according to Canon) and the general construction is akin to comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes.

The basic reason magnesium is used in Pro Level cameras is basic, it's is simply a better material if used in rough and adverse conditions. I packed a Speed Graphic for 8 years in the Navy and military cameras had to survive many endurance tests before they were adopted for military use. I never saw a PLASTIC FANTASTIC all the time I was in the service.....HMMMM, I wonder why?
--

' You don't have to have the best of everything to get the best out of what you do have'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow