Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brussell
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
7D vs 50D for HS Football at night?
Mar 31, 2012

I need some advice on my upgrade path for shooting my son’s Varsity football this coming season (his last one!). I currently have a 550D, a Tamron 18-270, a broken Canon 50 1.4 and the 18-55 kit lens as well as a monopod. Last season, at times I was able to borrow my brothers 70-200L 2.8 IS along with the 1.4x extender. So far the 550D and the 18-270 has met my needs in every way except for shooting football at night.

Access to my brother’s lens was spotty and I think my first upgrade for next season would be my own copy of a non-is 70-200 2.8. I could probably have better access to the 1.4x because he does not use it much.

So the question is; should I buy a 50D and plant the 70-200 on it with the monopod, then use a different lens (get the 50 1.4 fixed?) on the 550D as a close up camera? Or sell the 550D to help fund the price of a 7D?

I can see the pluses of a second body as well as the added expense and upkeep, not to mention having to juggle two different types of memory. With the 7D I get better fps and a one-camera solution. With the 50D, I spend less money and still have the 550D.

I guess another thought would be to settle for a Sigma or Tamron 70-200 2.8 and use the extra funds for the 7D.

I had been hoping for a 7D MkII to come out and drive down the cost of a 7D but it does not look like that is going to happen before August.

Of course the budget is limited but I really want to get good shots this season.

Any advice to help me make the best “bang for my buck” decision would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow