Magnesium bodies

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bill Force
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,607
Like?
Re: Plastic should be king..
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Mar 30, 2012

Plastic is subject to material failure through temperature and normal fatigue of plastic materials. I have a fairly large box of computer 'parts" from a half dozen digital cameras made since 1999. All of them failed due to the plastic GEARS shedding their teeth and no repair parts are abailable. Plastics DO deteriorate over time, all of the plastic apparatus I have including chairs, kitchen appliances, automobile parts fail rather rapidly in the tropics either from temperature or humidity change but in fact plastic fails. Metal parts do not fail in the same time period, I have several old cameras dating back to my 1932 Kodak Recomar and none of them have failed.

You "spends yer money and you takes yer chances", my money goes with the metal bodies. That isn't to say that many of the so-called metal bodies are merely metal "shells" over plastic guts such as all of the Canon mid class "D" series until the 7D, the light boxes and basic chassis are all plastic. The 1D series by contrast are ALL metal, you get what you pay for.--

' You don't have to have the best of everything to get the best out of what you do have'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow