EPSON Pro Products Clogging Problems Abound - buyer beware.

Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GrizzlyAK
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
EPSON Pro Products Clogging Problems Abound - buyer beware.
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone want to buy an Epson Pro 4800? Yeah, I thought not. I have had one for several years, and the thing it is really the best at is wasting ink, because the nozzles clog constantly. As tech support just told me (which was news), is that all the Epson PRO versions are designed to be used constantly (i.e., daily) and if they are, they are prone to clogging. Interesting that my consumer 2200 can sit for 5- 6 months and requires 1 or 2 cleaning cycles at most to ready it for work. I just used 109 ml of ink (one full cartridge on the 4800, about $70) cleaning the heads, and the nozzles are still clogged. Even the auto-clean feature gave up after 5 tries. When it works the 4800 prints spectacular prints, but I could probably get the same print from a local print shop for a fraction of the cost from lost ink sales and time.

So, BEWARE, if you are the average photographer or graphic artists, who wants to print large format only periodically, then you may want to reconsider buying an Epson PRO printer (unless you have an unlimited budget). If you are not running the PRO models daily (according to the EPSON tech support guy I just got off the phone with), then you're gonna have problems with clogged jets. I just assumed that since Epson made my 2200, which rarely clogs, that the $2,000 Pro model 4800 would be just as good, right? Wrong. Now, I've seen all the brochures on the 'new' printers, and how they tout how 'clog-free' they are. If my toilet flowed continually, it would never clog either.

So, I'm in need of a professional level large format printer (17+") that doesn't cost a fortune to clean the print heads every time I want to print something, and doesn't die a sad death if it sits idle for a few weeks at a time. The automobile industry would have vanished a long time ago if consumers tolerated such as this from the products. Could you imagine?

Sorry for the rant, but after years of wasting money on Epson PRO products, this last round just brought it to a head. I wish someone had told me this before I wasted $2,000. The 7900 sounds great, dual black inks, 'clog free', but hey, so did the 4800. Burn me once...

Cheers,
Griz

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow