Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phred14
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
Want to start on color calibration - which way
Mar 30, 2012

I like to color calibrate of my LCD display. It's rather low-end, nothing fancy, but I'll presume that calibrated is better than non-calibrated. A friend loaned me an i1Display2, and I've installed "ArgyllCMS" and "dispcalGUI" - which is where the confusion starts.

The default on dispcalGUI is to calibrate the monitor for "gamma 2.2" - another alternative is sRGB, and the gamma value can be changed. From reading the instructions and probing my monitor, "gamma 2.0" (since 1.95 isn't a choice) looks more appropriate, but I keep in mind that sRGB is what I always hear about. Asking on the software forum, someone said I should be using "gamma 2.2", since that's "standard" and matches sRGB. They also mention that after several years the i1Display2 loses its calibration, but this is a fairly recent model.

I've done some reading, but everything I've seen on color calibration, especially on Linux, jumps in way to deep - at the "career path" level.

Is there a simpler way to start?

Also, the "calibration" I'd done to gamma 2.0 has already failed the wife-test, which may not be an accurate indicator. She had some fabric samples, and was trying to order coordinating fabric online. On our uncalibrated monitor she order something, which upon delivery turned out to not be a good match, and the purchase was returned. After calibration she looked at the same fabric on the calibrated monitor, and still felt that it would be a good color match. I was hoping that calibration would have exposed the color matching problem. It's also possible that J.C. Penney doesn't color-calibrate their web pages, but it's also possible that my calibration is improper.

I'm interested in photo editing, but more accurate colors for my wife is also important.

phred14's gear list:phred14's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P10 Nikon Coolpix P7100 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow