Crop cameras are on their way out. We've decided!

Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ppage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,615Gear list
Like?
Crop cameras are on their way out. We've decided!
Mar 30, 2012

When I first moved from my Fuji S602Z to a Canon XT, the forum for the Rebel series camera was very active. One would have to go well into page 2 to see all the threads that had seen posts in the last 24 hours. The same happened in 2009 when I bought my 50D and this forum was just as active.

I just looked at the fora and here is what I found:

Canon EOS 1100D - 300 D: active threads less than 24 hours old take up about 1/3 of the first page

Canon 7D/60D - 10D: active threads less than 24 hours old take just over 1/2 of the first page

Maybe dpreview is less relevant than it used to be. But then look at this:

Canon EOS 1d/1Ds/5D: active threads less than 24 hours old take just over 2 full pages.

It's not a very scientific way of finding out what's going on, but I think it's definitely indicative of the a trend. I know that some of the activity on the FF forum is due to the 5D Mark III, but not all of it, nor would it cause the drop in participation in the other two fora.

Canon may opt to discontinue all the crop cameras sooner than we'd expect - maybe in less than five years?

Peter

ppage's gear list:ppage's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow