Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,927Gear list
Like?
G1X + G11 + s95 - Comparison PICS
Mar 30, 2012

Side by side street comparison (real world comparison) of the following Canon Powershots: G1X , the G11 and the s95 .

Studio controlled lighting and careful camera manipulation is the key to accurate, 'blind' testing. But I've often found that real-world examples better represent a user's expected experiences with various cameras. These comparisons surprised me on a couple of occasions but they may serve to assist others. As expected, the G1X produced sharper and more accurate color in the images. But as someone who uses the s95 on a daily basis, I was a little alarmed at how poorly it performed compared to the G11 and the G1X... and these aren't even my low-light tests!

I have noted previously that the image quality of the s95 and the G11 is exceptionally good but that I was able to use the s95 in more difficult low-lighting environments than the G11 could tolerate. However, I think I'll consider taking my G1X with me more often now. It seems to have a better idea of what automated settings to use when called upon and it generally delivers 'in spades', as they say with relation to detail captured, even in so-called "mundane" shots.

★ All images are handheld.
★ All cameras had WB set to Auto.

★ All cameras set to 'My Colors' with color, contrast & sharpening set to +1

CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO DISPLAY THEM AT CORRECT SIZE.

I'll get around to shooting night shots shortly. In the meantime, here's what I found yesterday when comparing the cameras carefully:

• Partial Zoom applied.

Observation (above): G1X produced the most accurate representation of the neon sign. The s95 and the G11 produced an artificial blooming effect on the neon with an oddly exaggerate yellow cast (typical and expected). Note: Neon signs are normally a tough subject for many cameras to shoot accurately.

............................................................................................................

• Maximum Zoom used.

• Cameras set to ISO AUTO

Observation (above): s95 produced a considerable amount of noise and loss of detail. G11 produced the best result BUT ... it used ISO 80 compared to ISO 800 on the G1X. The G11 was smart enough to pick a very low ISO and the G1X was playing it safe. Some serious smearing of detail from the s95.

............................................................................................................

• P-Mode: Shooting towards the sun.

• 28mm wide.

• Forced ISO 100

Observation (above): G11 blew out the highlights near the sun. s95 captures slightly more DR but produced stronger anti-aliasing artifacts.
See link for closeup: http://www.pbase.com/image/142380090/original
Other than this, the s95 & G1X outperformed the G11.

• Max Zoom

• Shot towards the sun to force Chromatic Aberration.

Observation (above): G1X produced the most accurate representation of the backlit tree & building. s95 produced considerable chromatic aberration. G11 suffered similarly but to a lesser degree.

• Shot at 28mm wide at sunrise

Observation (above): G1X produced the most accurate representation of the building. s95 produced considerable loss of detail and excessive smearing of detail.

• Forced ISO 1600 (s95 & G1X only)... I set the G11 to the wrong ISO and I was forced to exclude it from this comparison.

Observation (above): G1X produced brilliant results at such high an ISO. s95 suffered from considerable noise and loss of image details as expected (see closeup crop in top RH corner).

• FULL ZOOM at 28mm Wide.

• Cameras were left in P-Mode to select their own secondary settings.

Observation (above): G1X produced the most accurate representation of the color and contrast. G11 was a little lighter. s95 suffered considerable noise.

• Depth Of Field test with a nearby subject.

• NO Macro used.

• All cameras were set at MAXIMUM zoom.

Observation (above): G1X produced the most attractive amount of Bokeh with a shallower DOF. s95 had the greatest DOF with the least amount of background blur.

• Auto ISO on daylight conditions around Midday.

• Full zoom on all cameras was used.

Observation (above): G1X produced the most accurate representation of color. s95 produces a considerable loss of detail.

• ISO 800 test indoors in moderate to low lighting.

• Maximum zoom used.

• 100% crops

Observation (above): G1X produced the most amount of resolved detail. s95 produced the worst results with considerable noise and grain resulting in smeared details and image loss. G11 lost detail as well key areas of the image.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
S95New
jimrNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow