Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ripple
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
What camera [system] for me?
Mar 30, 2012

I've had a Panasonic G1 with the two standard zooms for a couple of years now. Its a fine and dandy portable system. I can take it for walks with the dogs in a small Crumpler bag and carry it all day. I take landscapes and some birdy pictures if they come within reach of the 45-200. I also take family and holiday snaps.

I've been doing this photography stuff since I started in the [19]70s with a Zenit B and graduated quickly to a Pentax K1000. Following that it was mostly Nikon stuff although all of that is long gone. Back in the day I did a City & Guilds photography [basic monochrome darkrooming, really] course and had a whole wet-process set up in the spare bedroom.

The thing about Panasonic M4/3 system that I'd most like to improve is the ability to isolate the subject from the background. The lenses I've got are pretty slow and the sensor size gives more depth of field than I'd like.

So I think I'd like to go for a bigger sensor. With the price of the EOS 5D MkII dropping maybe I could stretch to one of them, although it would be a stretch.

But maybe APSC would be good enough. I'd prefer Nikon but given the relative prices [bodies & lenses] I think it would have to be Canon. I've stood in Jessops and fondled various bodies [oo er missus]: the 550D feels light - the 7D feels lovely and the viewfinder seems better [pentaprism] but you're getting the same[ish] sensor as the 550D and paying a lot more for it. I have no plan to do movies and don't see much of a need for a flappy folding screen.

So here's the question for people who've actually lived with these cameras for a while. If I had the 5D and 24-105 [say] would I find myself leaving it at home more of the time after the first flush of new ownership had worn off because of the size and weight? I notice that a number of the ads on eBay specify that the 5D in question has never been taken outside. And anyway would a 5D be overkill for what I do?

If its going to be APSC would the 550D feel a bit toylike what with the light weight and the picture style pictograms on the dial? Or would the 7D with the 17-55 f2.8 and the 70-200 f4 be too heavy too lug about all day?

Any advice or comments gratefully received. Thanks for reading.

Ripple's gear list:Ripple's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow