ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vmarks
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Just got my 5Diii - some cool setup options
Mar 30, 2012

Hi,

Just picked up a 5diii duty free from airport in Seoul.

One thing I really like is the ability to re-map the DOF preview button to AI Servo AF. Thus I can leave the camera in One Shot AF, and hold the DOF preview button when the subject starts moving (I shoot a lot of kids indoors).

I'm one of many people who re-mapped AF to the * button on the 5Dii. With the mk 3 I'm going to try and keep AF on the shutter and use the DOF preview to flip between One Shot AF and servo when needed. See how that goes...

The AF seems pretty complex, I've not figured out how to configure the camera so that I can choose AF points or regions easily on the fly just yet. I'm sure its possible, but I'm too slow to do it in a shoot...

Auto ISO now has a setting for min shutter although its a static value unrelated to FL (I set to 1/250) and will probably only use auto ISO in situations where that's appropriate.

Flash metering. I always shoot flash in M mode. I had to set FEC +1 1/3 to get correct exposure with my 580EXII flash yesterday (bounced, and gelled 1/2 CTO to match Tungsten ambient lighting). Not sure if gel takes over 1 stop out of the flash power. The good news is that flash exposures were consistent with that compensation, where they used to be all over the place with my 5D2. More testing needed, but my initial impression is good.

Can't wait for the grip. People seem to say the camera feels nice and balanced, but I need the grip... feels too small without it to me!

-v

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow