Magnesium bodies

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Magnesium bodies
In reply to Owen, Mar 30, 2012

Owen wrote:

I keep hearing about "build" quality of the new expensive cameras like Nikon, Canon, Sony.

Now I don't figure my camera is going to be run over by a car or truck so why add an expensive magnesium body to the build. New plastics are plenty strong for todays cameras.

What's more likely to happen is the camera will be dropped, the lens will be damaged or the more fragile insides will be damaged.

It seems better to add a thicker rubber coating to the camera to provide more protection than a stronger frame.

I dropped my Olympus E510 off my computer desk. It fell 2 feet onto a rug. No outside damage but the finder readouts and the flash stopped working. Now that wasn't even a hard fall.

Owen

Plastic may be adequate structurally, but it is an excellent insulator and really holds in the heat generated by the electronics and also solar gain on a sunny day. I prefer a magnesium body camera because of it's superior thermal qualities that dissipate heat much faster than plastic. A magnesium body camera remains noticeably cooler in my hand than a plastic body camera, and since I usually use a hand strap instead of a neck strap, my camera stays in my hand for long periods of time. I find a plastic body camera gets uncomfortably warm in a very short period of time. I think it is likely that a metal body also keeps the electronics cooler as well, for longer life and less heat generated sensor noise.
That's my two cents on the subject anyway.
--
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow