Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VKM3
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Sony Service replaces, doesn't fix.
Mar 29, 2012

While on a recent holiday to Bali, I had an unfortunate mishap that resulted in my Zeiss 24-70 popping off the mount of my A77 and bouncing off the pavement. While I swear I had attached the lens properly, I must have only thought I did.

Anyways, I was pretty upset about it but took some solace in the fact that the damage seemed limited to bent plastic on the side of the barrel and not to any of the glass itself. Lens still mounts fine, autofocusses and shoots without issue. Problem is, the bit of bent plastic pushes against the zoom ring, making it very difficult to zoom. My hope was Sony Service would be able to replace the plastic and I'd be left with a slightly scuffed, but optically fine lens.

Took it to Sony Service today here in Vancouver and after my 30 second explanation of the damage, was told they wouldn't even bother taking it. I was told 99% of repairs for lenses end up with simply a quote for a replacement lens. I was a bit shocked and expressed my hope that a relatively simple fix might be all I need to save a $2000 lens, but it got me nowhere.

I guess I'm left trying to pry the bent plastic out myself so I can salvage use of the lens, otherwise it looks like I've got a pretty expensive paper weight. Anyone else with a similar experience?

-- hide signature --
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow