Shooting a concert tonight, tips???

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
mauthbaux
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting a concert tonight, tips???
In reply to Bvphaze3, Mar 29, 2012

You didn't mention a couple of rather important (to my mind anyway) points. First: are you going to be shooting video or stills? Second: is using the flash an option (some venues allow it, others do not)?

My thoughts (which need to be taken with a serious helping of salt, I'm a hobbiest, not a pro - though I have shot some smaller local shows; I posted a video from a metal show a couple weeks ago.), is that the kit lens is a little slow for most concert shots, but if you're going to be that close to the stage, a 50 will be too narrow to get more than a couple of the performers in the same shot.

Setting the camera to shutter priority and WB to auto generally works well for me. Whether you set the ISO to auto or to a particular setting is really up to you, and will depend on whether or not you'll be using the flash.

If the lighting is unusually bright, the toy camera art mode or high-contrast monochrome can be some fun, but they don't seem to work well in darker settings. I'd probably stick with the 'standard' creative style setting.

I'm also of the opinion that concert photos are much more about 'feel' than they are about technical accuracy. So you shouldn't have to worry too much about having perfect focus with the 50mm; composition is more important.

If you're planning on shooting video, don't trust the built-in mics to do a decent job, they're easily overwhelmed at loud volume levels. I use a Zoom H1.

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing some of the pictures from the show.

mauthbaux's gear list:mauthbaux's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow