New 45/1.8. Can Olympus warranty realign lens?

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sylvain G
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
Re: New 45/1.8. Can Olympus warranty realign lens?
In reply to MT, Mar 29, 2012

It's likely that these new tiny lenses don't feature adjustment screws, as demonstrated by the excellent lensrentals' Roger Cicala.

I'd just return them under warranty and see what they do. I guess they'll exchange it if all else fail.

Greetings,
S.

MT wrote:

Oly 45/1.8 just arrived along with two other zooms. Like any other lenses, I immediately tripod mount, cancel stabilization, and test for lens alignment. I've done enough to be confident of my testing protocol. I find significant sample variations regardless of brand or whether it is a zoom or prime. I am reasonable and do not expect perfection.

However, there's a certain threshold beyond which I consider a lens defective. There's a particular look

No question that my unit is misaligned - particularly on the bottom right corner. The dropoff is dramatic on that corner. I know that 'look' from past experience. The other two zooms that came today is fine. So this is one out of three- unfortunately it is the prime which will be my main lens.

Leaving on an extended trip in a couple of days so its too late to exchange.

Simple Question: Does Olympus do lens realignment and do they do a good job? Has anyone sent a lens back to Olympus for realignment and can comment?

Thanks again for ALL the help on this forum. About three weeks ago I started reading this forum on a whim and am thoroughly convinced that the MFT is the best system for our needs.

MTMT

-- hide signature --

my 'review' of the Olympus PEN E-P1 - http://www.catbag.net/wp/?p=173

Sylvain G's gear list:Sylvain G's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow