Do I need a UWA lens if I already own th Canon 15-85?

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kenwnyc
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Do I need a UWA lens if I already own th Canon 15-85?
Mar 29, 2012

That is the question going around in my head right now as I prepare for a trip to France and ponder my future photographic needs.

I have shopped around and I would most likely get the Canon 10-22 if I were to decide to buy one at all.

I take mainly landscape and architecture photos. I may take the occasional indoor/confined space shot. I want to be prepared to handle all of these and not have to carry around too many lenses, or worse, do a lot of lens swapping.

I have been acquainting myself with stitching programs and I see that stitched panoramics are a viable alternative to using a UWA lens. Perhaps the only way to capture a wide sweeping vista, because UWA's capture a wide space but also make the object appear too far away.

I do find that UWA's are nice for taking pictures in a confined space. Stitching images together from my 15-85 taken at some wide angle in a confined space will work, but the results are not the best (or maybe I need to become more skilled at using stitching programs - getting acquainted now with Hugin). These are more complicated images to stitch, compared to landscape images, because of the more extreme angles. If anyone has suggestions on how to handle stitching confined space shots, I would like to hear them. Or, if someone has determined that it's not really viable, I'd like to hear about that as well.

I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences with UWAs.

My current kit:
Canon 60D
Canon 15-85
Canon 70-300L

kenwnyc's gear list:kenwnyc's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow