I Have Two 16-35mm and No D800: What Should I Do?

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?
I Have Two 16-35mm and No D800: What Should I Do?
Mar 29, 2012

In anticipation of receiving a D800, or D800e (I'm hoping that there will be comparison reviews before either camera arrives), I attempted to purchase a 16-35mm f4 lens. In as much as I prefer primes at other focal lengths, this was the only significant hole in my kit.

Well, none of the usual suspects had the lens in stock, so I placed an order with J&R Photo. I few days later, B&H had import lenses in stock. I decided to go ahead and order one of those.

Well of course, after the import shipped, I got notice from J&R that my U.S. lens had shipped as well.

So, here is my dilemma: I know the problems with purchasing import Nikon lenses. Frankly, I'm okay with relying on B&H's one-year warranty. I haven't been real good about registering my other Nikon lenses anyway, so I doubt that I have 5-years coverage on any of my equipment anyway. My primary concern is with sample variation. I want the sharpest best-performing lens I can get (I can't afford the 14-24mm). I would be willing to keep the import if it performed better than the U.S. lens. However, I don't have a D800 or even a D700 to test them on. All I have is a D5100. Or, I could use a lens adapter and try testing the lenses using my 5DMII.

What do you think is the best way to test these lenses, or do you think that I should just return the import and call it a day?

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D5100 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow