Magnesium bodies

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,604Gear list
Like?
Re: Magnesium bodies
In reply to Owen, Mar 29, 2012

Owen wrote:

Yes I agree with you but, It is the electronics and the rest of the insides that are still as fragile as if they were in an all plastic body. All mechanical bodies like 35mm are far more reliable than electronics and their plugs which can jar loose.

Owen

As explained by a previous poster, the electronics will always be vulnerable regardless of if the body is magnesium or plastic. - the mag body has nothing to do with protecting the innards against large shocks (such as being dropped) it is to do with the long term durability under normal operating conditions. A hobbyist will shoot occasionally so a plastic body will be fine; but pros need a camera that will shoot all day long, day in day out and often in adverse conditions (weather sealing). That means they need the better build quality and durability that comes from a mag body.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-

I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 7d - even though none of them ever do what I tell them

I am learning photo graphee - see the results at http://www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow